Saturday, November 01, 2008

Entry 8: When in Vietnam, Do as the Vietnamese Do.

Song of the Moment: Shut Up and Drive by Rihanna

This morning, I realized I didn’t have much time to go around Ho Chi Minh because I have to check out by 12:30PM. That meant, I should not walk all the way to the Ben Thanh market because that will take off precious minutes from shopping time and add more minutes to “freshening up” time before check-out.

I walked a few meters from the hotel, hesitant to take a taxi because I was saving my Dong for the airport transfer. And then, as I approached the corner, a motorcycle taxi xe om driver called my attention, in some incomprehensible Vietnamese phrase.

It didn’t take me long to decide. Oh, what the heck.

I pointed to the Ben Thanh market on my map. The man nodded, and handed me the passenger helmet.  “Safety first,” I thought... whatever kind of safety that can be assured from that lightweight, small helmet. It’s probably just psychological.

So I was whisked off, taking pictures while maintaining my balance on the seat behind the driver. The wind was blowing through my face. The moisture of the morning dew and the heat of the sun made the short commute surprisingly comfortable. It was good to be on the other side of the fence after all... to be part of the swarm of motorcycles declaring ownership of the streets of Ho Chi Minh.

So get out of the way, timid pedestrians. xe om passing through.

No comments: