Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Entry 10: Bangkok has Two Faces.

Song of the Moment: April Fools by Rufus Wainwright

I could look at my Bangkok trip in two ways: “not my day” or “i got lucky.” And because I am in such a happy mood, I think I’d choose the latter.

Bangkok DismayBangkok Delight
I had to inject a bit of work in my trip --- that is, I had to do a courtesy call at LOSCAM Thailand.I got a free dinner at a fabulous seafood restaurant, got to meet with Sirin and Ian, and finally, got a free 2N stay at a posh serviced apartment with a view.
My hotel room sucked. It was in the middle of a very unsafe village (think Tondo) and the room looked like it was christened with Bangkok sleaze all over.Sirin from LOSCAM Thailand generously offered me his free 2N stay at the Columns Residences, executive serviced apartments, right at the heart of Sukhumvit, Bangkok’s main financial district (something like Makati, teeming with expats all over).
I didn’t make the cut-off for the group tour to the Floating Village, and had to book a private tour that costs more. I got to spend the day in full flexibility --- with my own driver, my own time and my way.
It rained, and I wasn’t able to see the temples nor the Grand Palace. I didn’t get caught in the rain at any point. I can’t imagine what a disaster that would have been if I decided to go straight to the hotel after the Floating Village visit and wander off on my own that afternoon.
I went beyond my budget.I got to do what I wanted, met a good Bangkok friend and paid a decent work pay to a struggling musician.
I was too lazy to go out with the LOSCAM girls to see the shows at Patpong (Silom Road).I had enough rest in the evening, and really, I wasn’t in a sociable mood anyway.

I guess, as in life, it really is a matter of choosing how you will experience things. I could have easily labeled this leg of the trip as a failure, but as far as I’m concerned, I still got enough Bangkok to be one for the books.  

No comments: