Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Entry 11: So Sue Me!

Song of the Moment: Won't Go Away by Vertical Horizon

During my last night in Bangkok, I decided to spend the night in the hotel to thoughtfully pack my things. I got a text message from Ian/LOSCAM, asking if I wanted to go out with some of the girls from the office. I respectfully declined. I was in my antisocial mode (not to mention, I didn’t feel like spending more money in Bangkok).

At around 7PM, I realized that my last meal for the day was breakfast at 7AM. I haven’t eaten much since then (except for some fruits during the boat trip). My stomach was grumbling. I needed food.

So I walked to the nearby 24-hour grocery and sat on the counter of the mini restaurant. Hmmmm, what to eat tonight?

There was quite a comprehensive selection of Asian dishes. Fried Rice with Chicken, Pork or Beef. Tom Yum soup. Sukiyaki. Beef with Chilli. Chicken with Oyster Sauce and Basil Leaves. Etcetera.

And then there were the minority items: American Breakfast, Hamburger, Cheeseburger. They cost a bit more than most of the Asian dishes though, and I was running out of Baht (before my next FOREX).

I ordered a Hamburger. I couldn’t help it. So sue me.

Apparently, even if I am Asian and used to all things rice and noodles, I needed my American greasy fix too! I pointed to the Hamburger on my menu and a Pepsi; with the waitress’ nod, my order was underway. I waited anxiously for my all-meat meal, which I planned to eat heartily with my hands, in total averse of chopsticks.

It arrived, and I was ecstatic.

It didn’t take long for it to go from it’s full meaty glory to finger-lickin’ meat juices. It still tasted a bit Asian (I think there was something in the mayonnaise) but it hit the spot nonetheless. Aaaaah. Finally, something non-rice, non-noodle, non-spicy, non-chopsticks-ish.

I know you’ve been through it at some point during your travels. Sure, you have your moments of trying out the local cuisine. But when you’ve been out for so long, you can’t help but long for something familiar.

I guess this signals that I’m beginning to unconsciously long for home. Sigh.

Now, off to look for Italian food... I miss my pasta and pizza.
 

2 comments:

ish said...

haha, i totally understand the urge to order the BIGGEST BURGER YOU CAN FIND in the midst of food-tripping. i suspect it's something about the grease that we can't live without. =P

vanessa said...

which is actually bad for us. but who's watching anyway? hehehe. :)