Sunday, November 09, 2008

Entry 13: Philosophizing Disneyland

Song of the Moment: Put On Your Sunday Clothes by Michael Crawford

Growing up, I didn’t really pull a “Make-A-Wish Foundation” moment when it came to going to Disneyland. I was very fortunate to have gone to several Disneyland parks: Disneyland (California), Disney World (Florida) and Tokyo Disney. But frankly, all my Disney visits were generally “adult experiences,” even though I was actually just a child then --- I found the rides too lame, got bored of walking under the sun, found the park too huge and redundant, realized that the parks all looked the same, mocked the rides especially It’s A Small World, or even used Disney for a juvenile courtship. Whatever the experience was, I wore “adult glasses” throughout each visit... Which was sad because a trip to Disney is supposed  to be a magical experience, one for childlike wonder to prosper.


On my first day in Hong Kong, I spent the whole day in HK Disneyland, primarily because I wanted to watch Crisel perform her High School Musical performance (which is the very reason she’s based in HK now). As expected, she gave a spectacular show ---- a very strenuous-looking one at that. Imagine, she would be on a mobile float, prancing and dancing, huge smiles and everything, belting high notes under the heat of the 12nn sun. It was clearly not for the fainthearted. I’m so proud of her. I don’t think I can do what she’s doing. But with that said, I know she can because she’s really passionate about her craft.

But anyway, because she had to disappear for make-up and rehearsals, for the most part, I was walking around the park alone. I never thought doing so would move me in a way a child gets giddy over candy. I was overwhelmed by that simple childlike wonder I seem to have taken for granted for years. I sincerely went through a magical experience in Disneyland for the first time in my life --- and I am almost 25 years old!
  1. I watched all the shows and sang along with all the songs. 
  2. I rode the Pooh Adventure and enjoyed Pooh’s little dilemma over his hunny.
  3. I rode Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters and used both laser guns to reach a meager space cadet status.
  4. I screamed myself silly on the Space Mountain.
  5. I played “Spot the Disney Character” on the It’s a Small World Ride. 
  6. I took all the photos I could take with the Disney characters roaming around the park.
  7. I ate Mickey Mouse ice cream. 
In short, I did what every child would do in Disneyland --- all with a sense of simple joy and awe. I wish I had spent all my other Disney visits with this kind of mindset. I thoroughly laughed to my heart’s content and enjoyed every minute I spent there. There really is something magical about the place.   

I’m turning twenty-five years old in a little over two months. But visiting Disney reminded me that I need not lose the child in me, especially after brutally suppressing her all these years. If you look at the many messages Disney has taught us, they are very basic and important life lessons we take for granted in our lives. So listening to the child’s persona may not be so bad after all...  
  1. Look at the world beautifully. 
  2. The inner beauty is more important than exterior beauty or wealth.
  3. We are born to fulfill our destiny to be great. And we must embrace our calling to do so.
  4. Social norms should not hamper our ability to serve.
  5. We need to be selfless to learn how to love and be loved. 
  6. Goodness will always prevail. 
  7. Nurture the child within. 
  8. Forgive yourself for past hurts and move on. 
  9. Respect our ancestors, our roots. 
  10. Be kind to others. 
There are so many more lessons to mention, each one picked from a Disney animated film from my childhood. Sometimes being a child is not a manifestation of immaturity. Sometimes you need to bring out the child in you to survive through adulthood with flying colors. 

No comments: