Friday, October 31, 2008

Entry 5: "Gotcha Covered." --- Guardian Angel.

Song of the Moment: Angels and Spies by Thirteen Senses

Yet another proof that my guardian angel’s close by throughout the trip. 

It was rather last minute, but I was able to set up a dinner with my sister’s friend, Andrew Goh. He’s a Malaysian of Chinese descent, and he also has a wooden pallet factory in Klang, Malaysia. (Don’t get me started on how we talked palletspeak through the night.) I joined him and his brother, together with their wives, for dinner at this excellent Chinese restaurant that surprisingly served NONE of the normal Chinese lauriat food items. We were served roast pork cuts, fish on a sizzling clay plate, sautéed asparagus tips, tofu with anchovies and king prawns in oyster sauce. (Where’s the sweet and sour pork? The steamed fish?)  

But hey, that’s not my story.

I asked them “locals” for advise re: my dilemma. My flight to Ho Chi Minh the next day leaves 7:30am, and I have to be at the airport by 5:30am. But  let’s remember that the airport is 1 1/2 hours from Kuala Lumpur. So I booked a taxi to pick me up at 4AM and take the three highways to the airport terminal. "Was that a safe choice?" I asked.

Andrew would hear none of it. "It's not safe."

He and his wife offered to let me stay at their place for the night (that is, 20mins away from the airport), so they can drive me there at 5AM. 

I tried to resist. Promise.

But I couldn’t.

So I checked out from Novotel, rode their car to suburbs and next thing I know, I was taking a shower at their house, sleeping at their daughter’s room, and accompanied to the airport through security checks, check-in, etc. WOW. I’m really lucky to have such a wonderful surprise host family. I can’t imagine what my morning would have been like if I took that taxi alone to the airport at 4AM. That would have been another suspense thriller waiting to happen.

Thank you thank you, Goh Family. I am forever indebted. And for that, you'll be invited to my wedding too. Hehehe. 

No comments: