Saturday, October 28, 2006

the bad guy

I had a couple of drinks with my officemates a few hours back, but left the bar earlier than most. Don't get me wrong, I stopped before my limit and made it home in one piece (thank you, high alcohol tolerance). But I felt weird.

It's not so much that I couldn't handle the situation. I just felt like I've outgrown such nights already. Most of my officemates are actually a lot older than me, but the pensive drive home stirred me. No, being younger than them doesn't give me the license to drink. These nights are in fact reminiscent of night outs in the past that are fun at that moment, but probably something I can no longer be proud of. I used to brag about my Quezon-bred drinking skills, but it just doesn't feel right anymore.

The night brought back those memories of someone drunk and in denial driving me home, and that scared me. Other images rushed in my head... of scantily dressed women I personally know grinding in front of me, of empty bottles of beer on the table, of squinting at the sight of rising cigarette smoke. It reminded me of those nights I was actually a tad reckless, contrary to popular notion.

Yes, good girl Vanessa became a bad guy at some point also.

But there comes a point in your life when you just look at those memories, smile with wisdom, and walk away.

6 comments:

rodrigo said...

UUUU QUE HERMOSA ERES ME ENAMORE MUAKKKK UN BESO PRECIOSA NIÑA

vanessa said...

uso na ba ang spam sa blog comments? hehe.

Anonymous said...

haha. naalala ko tuloy. i got tipsy during our company outing last week. hmmm...somehow i'm not particularly proud of that. :P

Anonymous said...

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead." -- Oscar Wilde

I think I have also outgrown my own desire to get profoundly drunk one day. :)

- Teresa

vanessa said...

teresa! maite! oh my gosh! it's you! :) haven't heard from you in ages!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tidoy! And Rina! Musta na kayong dalawa? :)